- This event has passed.
HPC User Forum Special Event: Smarter Networks, Smarter MPI: Improving MPI User Experience & Cluster Performance
February 3, 2022 @ 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
MPI is a crucial part of HPC applications and spans the entire stack — from the MPI library itself, to the runtime environment, to interfaces, to memory and networking hardware, processor hardware, and more. While any one of these elements may be relatively easy to manage, it takes a dedicated expert team and considerable time to understand and optimize all the inner workings, control options, capabilities, performance analysis, versioning, and hardware capabilities, and optimize them for each workload.
What if, instead, the network becomes smarter so it can provide greater transparency and enable tighter coupling between the MPI and network layers to improve performance through routing, congestion control, topologies, and new approaches to networking?
This special HPC User Forum event included a panel of experts discussing how the potential of creating a smarter network could improve the user experience of MPIs such as MVAPICH and Open MPI.
- Dr. John McCalpin – Research Scientist, Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC)
- Dr. Dhabaleswar K. (DK) Panda – Professor and University Distinguished Scholar of Computer Science and Engineering, Ohio State University (OSU)
- Dr. Ryan Grant – Assistant Professor, Queens University
- Matt Williams – Chief Technology Officer, Rockport Networks
- Mark Nossokoff – Senior Analyst, Hyperion Research – Moderator