Our program to recognize noteworthy achievements made by users using High Performance Computing (HPC) technologies.
How winners will be selected
» All submissions will receive a careful and complete review
» Submissions must contain a clear description of the dollar value or scientific value received in order to qualify
» Volunteers from the HPC User Forum Steering Committee will conduct an initial ranking of the submissions (for the list of the steering committee members, click here).
» The final evaluation will then be conducted by selected experts in the specific area/discipline in which the work was done.
» Winners will be notified in advance of any public announcement
Recent Innovation Excellence Award Winners
Click the dropdown boxes below to see the most recent HPC User Forum Excellence Awards winners.
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign/NCSA (U.S.) Massively Parallel Evolutionary Computation for Empowering Electoral Reform: Quantifying Gerrymandering via Multi-objective Optimization and Statistical Analysis. Wendy K. Tam Cho and Yan Liu. https://www.hpcwire.com/off-the-wire/ncsa-scientist-employs-supercomputer-simulations-in-ohio-gerrymandering-case/
- University of California, Davis (U.S.). Project DisCo (Discover of Coherent structures). Adam Rupe. https://wwwstage.nersc.gov/assets/Uploads/BDC-06-Adam-Rupe-Project-Disco.pdf
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (U.S.). Can machine-learning help us find modes of laser-driven fusion that have been undiscovered by traditional methods? Brian Spears. https://data-science.llnl.gov/research-areas/cognitive-simulation
- California Institute of Technology (U.S.). Hidden Earthquake Research. Dr. Zachary Ross. https://www.caltech.edu/about/news/scientists-identify-almost-2-million-previously-hidden-earthquakes
- The Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine (Germany) Automated Segmentation of Knee Bone and Cartilage combining Statistical Shape Knowledge and Convolutional Neural Networks. https://openreview.net/pdf?id=SJ_-Nx3jz
- Argonne National Laboratory (U.S.) Risk and Resiliancy of Infrastructure Southeastern USA for AT&T. Rao Kotamarthi, Jiali Wang, Eugene Yan, Julie Bessac, Alissa Jared and Thomas Wall. https://www.anl.gov/article/att-leverages-argonnes-climate-modeling-and-infrastructure-resilience-expertise-to-benefitCerebras (U.S.) Cerebras Wafer Scale Engine. JP Fricker, Michael James, Gary Lauterbach and Sean Lie. https://www.enterpriseai.news/2019/08/28/ai-supercomputer-on-a-wafer-debuted-by-cerebras/
- Sugon (China) Silicon Cube Blade System Phase-Change Liquid Cooling System. https://www.servethehome.com/sugon-nebula-phase-change-immersion-cooling-a-unique-platform/
- University of Alabama at Huntsville (U.S.) Hewlett Packard Enterprise / Cray (U.S.)
Identifying Promising Anti-Covid Agents via HPC Cloud Computing
Kendall Byler, Joseph Landman, Jerome Baudry
- National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA), University of Illinois (U.S.)
Deep Learning on HPC Predicts Optimal Materials Designs
Diab Abueidda, Hunter Kollmann, Seid Koric, Nahil Sobh, Erman Guleyruz
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (U.S.)
Modeling Complex Interactions between Precipitation Frequency and Climate Change
Kaiyu Guan, et al
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory (U.S.)
CASL Accurately Simulated Startup of Only New U.S. Reactor in 21 Years
Dave Kropaczek, Doug Kothe
- SURF Open Innovation Lab and multiple Dutch
Deep Learning Enhancement of Large-Scale Numerical Simulations
Caspar van Leeuwen, Axel Berg